The Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance is Victoria’s most gone to war dedication and was manufactured between July 1928 and November 1934 to recall and recognize the 114,000 Victoria men and ladies who served and the individuals who passed on in the Great War of 1914-1918. It is situated along St. Kilda Road and is just a short walk around Melbourne CBD settlement.
The configuration for the Shrine of Remembrance in the end honor to two Melbourne returned-warrior planners, Philip Hudson and James Wardrop . The Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance was formally opened in November 1934 by Prince Henry, the Duke of Gloucester before a horde of 300,000 individuals in.
The Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance is built from Tynong stone and initially comprised of a focal Sanctuary encompassed by the Ambulatory. The Sanctuary contains the marble Stone of Remembrance, whereupon is engraved the words “More prominent affection hath no man”.
This stone elements in the half hourly reenactment of the once per year occasion, on 11 November at 11 a.m. Recognition Day when, a beam of daylight radiates through an opening in the rooftop to light up “Adoration” in the engraving.
The ‘Drivers and Wipers’ statue additionally situated in the Shrine save and celebrates the numerous a great many Australian lives lost amid the battling at Ypres.The Melbourne Shrine of Remembrance is open day by day somewhere around 10am and 5pm and is shut on Good Friday and Christmas Day. So if you are in Melbourne and looking for some refreshing and inspiring things to do with a classic twist of history, check this one out!
Shrine of Remembrance Melbourne
Location & Details
Address: Birdwood Ave, Melbourne VIC 3001
Hours: Open 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Phone: (03) 9661 8100